In the latest data breach incidents, the data of more than 45 commercial customers of Canada Post linked to about 950,000 customers have been reported stolen following a cyberattack that had targeted Canada Post in the previous week.

Canada Post data breach:

According to the Canada Post, on May 19, Commport Communiations International Inc. had notified them of suffering a data breach.

Commport Communications is an electronic data exchange solution supplier employed by the nation-supplied postal service. The data that was apparently stolen was linked to Canada Post, relating to certain shipping manifest information.

“Shipping manifests are used to fulfill customer orders,” Canada Post explained. “They typically include sender and receiver contact information that you would find on shipping labels, such as the names and addresses of the business sending the item and the customer receiving it.”

Also read,

What data was stolen?

The data that was stoled spanned the time between July 2016 to March 2017,  with 97% of the data included only the names and addresses of the receiving customer, while the remaining 3% also included email addresses or phone numbers.

Canada Post has also affirmed that the data that was stoled did not include any financial details of the impacted customers.

The nation post service has noted working in close coordination with Commport Communications and other external cybersecurity expert agencies to investigate the cybersecurity hazard and undertake proper security measures.

Since investigations are still underway, the exact nature and details of the cyberattack are yet to be disclosed by Commport Communications.

However, according to security experts, ransomware group Lorenz is reportedly behind the cyberattack.

According to trusted security sources, the Lorenz ransomware had posted about hacking Commport Communications back in December 2020 and that the threat group has since allegedly published 35.3 GB of data of the stolen data.

The Lorenz ransomware has been analyzed to have specialized in double-tap ransomware attacks wherein the group encrypts and steals data and demands a ransom in return in exchange for a decryption key.